The Working Things Out Programme
“Research shows that rates of anxiety and depression amongst young people are at unprecedented levels. But it doesn’t have to be this way. You can equip young people with the right skills to cope positively and overcome mental health problems.”
Through this evidence-based, user-friendly training you will learn how to equip young people with coping skills to deal effectively with problems, develop helpful thinking strategies and improve their conflict resolution and communication skills.
Building on young people’s strengths, you will also learn how to support young people to build positive relationships with their family, in school and in their community.
Drawing on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), you will learn how to support young people to
- Deal with anger and conflict
- Understand the key to solving problems
- Develop helpful thinking strategies
- Manage feeling down
- Improve relationships
- Reduce stress
The Working Things Out Programme can be used as a preventative mental health programme to promote positive coping and also as an intervention with young people with identified mental health problems such as anxiety, depression or self-harm.
New Online Training You can now do the WTO training online on 28th 29th May 2020 Book Now
At the end of the 2 day training, you will have gained the skills and learning essential to achieving best outcomes for the young people and families that you work with.
At Parents Plus, we understand the needs of professionals working with parents and children in a variety of educational, clinical and community settings, and so our expert led training will give you the knowledge and skills to focus on parental strengths, parent led solutions and positive partnerships.
The power of our evidence based model really is in guiding you to become effective facilitators who are equipped to facilitate parents to move forward beyond problems and deal positively with behavioural, emotional or educational issues.
Your two day training will focus on
- Developing an in depth understanding of the Working Things Out Programme and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) Principles
- Learning how to deliver the programme to groups and individual young people
- Opportunities to observe and practice the skills necessary to become an effective solution focused facilitator
- Building on young people’s already present strengths and empowering them to move towards more positive thinking patterns and behaviours
- Strengthening relationships between adolescents, their families, peers, schools and communities
Whether you work in an educational, community or clinical setting, by day two, you will be confident in your ability to facilitate this CBT based Working Things Out Programme.
Our evidence-based, Working Things Out Programme is an effective tool for ALL professionals and managers who want to improve outcomes for young people experiencing difficulties, conflict or mental health concerns. If you want to gain knowledge, in practical, evidence based, yet effective CBT strategies to change the future path for young people, then this training is for you.
A wide variety of education, mental health and community professionals already use this solution focused programme successfully, with impressive outcomes in a variety or Primary Care, School, Health, Disability and Mental Health settings
- Attendance at the Parents Plus Trainings is compulsory for facilitators prior to delivering the programmes.
- Prior to accreditation, Parents Plus groups are to be co-facilitated. Therefore, at least two facilitators need to be trained before groups can be delivered in an agency.
- Prior to booking a training please read the full Parents Plus Licensing Guidelines.
Studies in secondary schools and mental health settings have shown that young people who complete the Working Things Out programme report
- Improved coping skills
- Reduced behaviour and emotional problems
- Improved family communication
- Significant gains on personal goals
You can learn more about the success of Working Things Out programmes in school, community and mental health settings here.
At Parents Plus our mission is to empower professionals, services and communities to positively change the futures of children and families with our evidence based programmes. Evidence shows that the best outcomes for families are achieved when managers and professionals are supported pre and post-training to deliver their first groups or individual sessions to families.
As a result, Parents Plus provides a comprehensive package of pre and post-training supports to professionals and managers who want to ensure a sustainable and effective delivery of the programmes within their agency.
- Implementation support to get groups off the ground, including planning workshops and coaching for managers
- Individual and Group Supervision Sessions with an experienced Parents Plus Trainer*
- Advanced training workshops on specific topics
- Extra resources to facilitate delivery, e.g. parent fliers, posters, certs, practice articles, parenting articles, extra handouts
- Support to promote and market your Parents Plus courses
- Advice and guidance on evaluating and monitoring outcomes in your agency so you ensure your groups are effective
You can access two individual supervision sessions completely free of charge in the first year post training.
Sponsorship for further supervision is available on application.
Full details of our comprehensive package of pre and post training supports are available here
Completing the two day Working Things Out Programme training will license you to co-deliver the programme under supervision in both group and one to one sessions with parents. See full licensing guidelines
For facilitators who want to take their practice to a higher level, Parents Plus also have an established accreditation process which supports facilitators to refine their facilitations skills and professional practice and reach a high standard of delivery. Representing a major CPD achievement, gaining accreditation allows professionals to deliver the programmes independently in a private capacity and to work towards becoming a Parents Plus Supervisor. See information on Accreditation here
The Parents Plus Working Things Out Programme training includes a comprehensive range of materials to ensure effective delivery of your groups.
- The Working Things Out DVD, containing 14 stories of real young people’s experiences of dealing with mental health difficulties.
- A comprehensive Facilitator’s manual that contains the full text of the DVD stories, background information on the programme, a detailed guide on delivering each group session of the 8 week programme, session handouts and specific information on facilitation of adolescent groups.
- The package also comes with an accompanying book, ‘Parenting Teenagers’, by John Sharry. This book describes a balanced approach to parenting, setting out a step-by-step guide that shows how parents can stay supportively involved in your teenager’s life while also being firm.
Parent Plus also provide onsite training in local organisations and communities. This is a cost effective way of training your team and also partnering with other agencies to deliver evidence-based programmes in your area.
If you would like to avail of onsite training within the convenience of your organisation, contact us to discuss training packages, by emailing
become a solution focused facilitator and make this difference.