ADHD Children’s Programme Training for Professionals
Parenting a child with ADHD can bring special challenges, but with the right support parents can overcome these and ensure their children reach their full potential.
The ADHD programme is a new modified version of the evidence based Parents Plus Children’s programme that addresses the needs of parents of children with ADHD aged 6-12 years. The programme is flexible and can be delivered to small groups or with individuals over 8-12 weeks.
The PP ADHD programme was launched at a special seminar on the 20/10/2022. See recording and slides
By training as a facilitator of this programme, you will learn how to support parents to:
- Understand the challenges and strengths of ADHD
- Manage behaviour and emotional problems
- Build their children’s self-esteem and confidence
- Reduce their own stress as parents
- Understand the role of medication and other treatments
- Manage homework and education challenges
- Help their child talk about and understand ADHD
- Support children’s friendships
“The Parents Plus ADHD course is a great source of support and information for parents or anyone looking after a child with ADHD including teachers, social workers and therapists. It explains a lot about what ADHD is and why your child behaves in a certain way. It supports you in the way that you are feeling too because it acknowledges how you feel as a parent.”
Mother of an eight year old boy with ADHD
Who is this Professional training for?
The ADHD Children’s Programme facilitator training is suitable for a range of professionals, including:
- Primary Care Teams such as Psychologists, Social Workers and Public Health Nurses
- CAMHS Teams
- Family Resource Centres
- Primary School Teachers
- Family focused charities such as ADHD Ireland
- TUSLA Parenting Support Champions Project
What you will Learn?
To deliver the ADHD programme you must first train in the Parents Plus Children’s Programme
Then you can complete a special two module training in the ADHD programme
The training focuses on:
- Developing an in-depth understanding of the needs of families with a child with ADHD
- Delivering the programme via face-to-face and online sessions, to groups and individual families
- Providing opportunities to observe and practise the skills to become a solution-focused facilitator
- Building on parents strengths as a basis for ongoing change
- Strengthening inter-agency and community partnerships
Facilitator Training Options: For those already trained in PPCP, the next two module training takes place on 17th and 24th October 2023 (10am -12:30pm).
Our special combo training in both the PPCP and ADHD programmes starts on May 3rd.
For details on the next available programme training please contact Programme Manager Claire Raftery at email@example.com
Parents Plus offer a small number of part-sponsored places on the training when accessing finance is difficult.
Who can Become a Facilitator?
The Parents Plus facilitator trainings are open to qualified education, mental health and community professionals who work with families including therapists and teachers.
Our programmes are successfully delivered with impressive outcomes in a variety of Primary Care, School, Health, Disability and Mental Health settings.
- Attendance at our facilitator training for this programme is compulsory prior to delivering it to families attending your service.
- Parents Plus programmes must be co-facilitated, therefore, at least two facilitators need to be trained before a programme can be delivered to families in your agency. Facilitators who go on to complete our accreditation process are licensed to run the programme without a co-facilitator.
Please read our licensing guidelines here.
prior to booking a place on our training.
Impact of the Children’s ADHD Programme
‘I benefited from attending the Parents Plus ADHD course in that I have a greater understanding now. I have better patience, I understand more about the neurological end of ADHD and that we are not alone and that there are so many parents going through what we go through
Mother of child with ADHD
- Studies in primary schools, mental health and disability settings have shown that families who complete the Parents Plus Children’s programme report:
- Increased child positive social behaviour
- Reduced behaviour problems
- Reduced emotional problems
- Decreased parental stress
- Increased parental confidence
In addition the Programme has been run in mental health services and community settings with parents of children with ADHD with positive results. A controlled study with 46 parents of children diagnosed with ADHD in Turkey showed that those who attended the PPCP group improved significantly more over time on Conners’ Parent Rating Scale-Revised, Family Assessment Device, and Parent Stress Index than those in the control condition (Turan et al, 2021).
Learn more about the researched impact of the ADHD programme, and all our other programmes here.
When delivering the ADHD Programme, you need full access to the Parents Plus Children’s programme materials which you receive at that first training. During the ADHD training you will receive
- Two colourful Parenting ADHD books, which contain all the programme handouts and worksheets for participants*
- An supplemental facilitator’s manual, with detailed guides on delivering the sessions and additional practice input on supporting families where a child has ADHD
*In running subsequent courses, trained facilitators can purchase additional ADHD parent books at cost price. Trained facilitators are also licensed to copy worksheets and handouts from the parent books, as an alternative.
Our Support Package
Research shows that families achieve the best outcomes when facilitators and their managers are supported pre and post-training to deliver programmes. We provide a comprehensive package of pre and post-training supports to our facilitators and managers in order to ensure a sustainable and effective delivery of the programmes within their agency.
As a result, Parents Plus provides a comprehensive package of pre and post-training supports to professionals and managers who want to ensure a sustainable and effective delivery of the programmes within their agency.
Our supports include:
- Implementation support to get groups off the ground, including planning workshops and coaching for managers.
- Individual and group supervision sessions with an experienced Parents Plus Trainer.
- Advanced training workshops on specific topics.
- Extra resources to facilitate delivery, e.g. fliers, posters, certificates, practice articles, parenting articles, supplementary handouts.
- Support to promote your Parents Plus courses in your community.
- Advice and guidance on evaluating and monitoring outcomes in your agency to ensure your groups are effective.
- Access to two individual supervision sessions free of charge in the first year post-training.
- Sponsorship for further supervision is available on application.
You can read more details about our pre- and post-training supports here.
Certification and Accreditation
On completing the facilitator training for the Parents Plus Early Years Programme, you will be licensed to co-deliver this programme under supervision in your agency, to groups and with individuals. You can read our full licensing guidelines here.
For facilitators who want to take their practice to a higher level, Parents Plus also has an established accreditation process which supports you to refine your facilitation skills and professional practice and reach a high standard of delivery. Representing a major CPD achievement, accreditation allows you to deliver our programmes independently and to work towards becoming a Parents Plus supervisor. You can read more about our accreditation process in the resources section.
Parent Plus provides onsite training to organisations and communities in Ireland and internationally. This is a cost-effective way to train your team or to partner with other agencies to deliver evidence-based programmes in your area.
If you would like to arrange an onsite training for your organisation, please contact
Change the future for families