It takes a village to raise a child. You can prepare the children that you work with for tomorrow by creating strong partnerships with their parents today
Through solution focused training in the evidence-based Parents Plus Children’s Programme, you will learn how to equip parents to effectively support their children’s learning and emotional well-being, as well as deal with behavioural and emotional problems.
In particular you will learn how to support parents to:
- Build their children’s self-esteem and confidence
- Encourage their children’s learning and school work
- Manage behaviour and emotional problems
- Establish positive daily routines
- Problem solve with their with children
- Develop connected and close family relationships
- Reduce their own stress as parents
The Children’s Programme is suitable for parents of children within the normal rage of development, as well as children with additional needs, such as ADHD, developmental delays and other difficulties.
Our Next training is Online across three days on 22nd and 25th June, and the 10th September Book Now
At the end of the 3-day training, you will have gained the skills and learning essential to achieving best outcomes for the families that you work with.
Your 3-day training will focus on
- Developing an in-depth understanding of the Children’s Programme
- Learning how to deliver the programme to groups and individual families, both face to face and in online sessions
- Opportunities to observe and practice the skills necessary to become an effective solution focused facilitator
- Building on parents already present strengths to become the basis for ongoing change
- Strengthening family, school and community partnerships
17th June – Short Optional intro session (2- 3pm) ensure everyone is ready for training
22nd June – Goals, PPCP background, evidence base, structure of programme, getting started with delivery
25th June – Individual and groupwork skills, Face to face and online delivery
10th Sept – Engaging parents, getting groups started, family sessions, dealing with challenges
The days run from 9:30 to 4pm and are delivered online via Zoom with tea breaks and 1 hour lunch break. To enhance learning participants are invited to complete 1-2 hours study time between sessions.
The cost of the training is €490 per person, which includes follow up supervision. Please contact us if accessing finance is difficult and we will do our best to provide some financial assistance.
Our evidence-based, Children’s programme is an effective tool for ALL professionals and managers who want to improve outcomes for primary school children. If you want to gain knowledge, in practical, evidence based, yet effective strategies to empower parents to change the future path for their children, then this training is for you.
A wide variety of education, mental health and community professionals already use this solution focused programme successfully, with impressive outcomes in a variety or Primary Care, School, Health, Disability and Mental Health settings
- Attendance at the Parents Plus Trainings is compulsory for facilitators prior to delivering the programmes.
- Prior to accreditation, Parents Plus groups are to be co-facilitated. Therefore, at least two facilitators need to be trained before groups can be delivered in an agency.
- Prior to booking a training please read the full Parents Plus Licensing Guidelines.
Studies in primary schools, mental health and disability settings have shown that families who complete the Children’s programme report
- Increased child positive social behaviour
- Reduced behaviour problems
- Reduced emotional problems
- Decreased parental stress
- Increased parental confidence
You can learn more about the success of Parents Plus programmes in school, community, disability and mental health settings here
At Parents Plus our mission is to empower professionals, services and communities to positively change the futures of children and families with our evidence based programmes. Evidence shows that the best outcomes for families are achieved when managers and professionals are supported pre and post-training to deliver their first groups or individual sessions to families.
As a result, Parents Plus provides a comprehensive package of pre and post-training supports to professionals and managers who want to ensure a sustainable and effective delivery of the programmes within their agency.
- Implementation support to get groups off the ground, including planning workshops and coaching for managers
- Individual and Group Supervision Sessions with an experienced Parents Plus Trainer*
- Advanced training workshops on specific topics
- Extra resources to facilitate delivery, e.g. parent fliers, posters, certs, practice articles, parenting articles, extra handouts
- Support to promote and market your Parents Plus courses
- Advice and guidance on evaluating and monitoring outcomes in your agency so you ensure your groups are effective
You can access two individual supervision sessions completely free of charge in the first year post training.
Sponsorship for further supervision is available on application.
Full details of our comprehensive package of pre and post training supports are available here
Completing the three day Children’s Programme training will license you to co-deliver the programme under supervision in both group and one to one sessions with parents. See full licensing guidelines
For facilitators who want to take their practice to a higher level, Parents Plus also have an established accreditation process which supports facilitators to refine their facilitations skills and professional practice and reach a high standard of delivery. Representing a major CPD achievement, gaining accreditation allows professionals to deliver the programmes independently in a private capacity and to work towards becoming a Parents Plus Supervisor. See information on Accreditation here
The Parents Plus Childrens Programme Training includes a comprehensive range of materials to ensure effective delivery of your groups.
- Two DVDs containing 2.5 hours of footage of 80 real and role-played scenes of family interactions, which are backed up by comments from professionals, parents and children.
- A comprehensive Facilitator’s Manual that contains the full text of the DVDs, extensive background information, a full guide on how to prepare and run each session of the course, including suggestions on how to structure group discussion and use role-play.
- Two parents booklets that contain all the handouts and worksheets for participants.
- The package also comes with an accompanying parents book, ‘Positive Parenting‘, by John Sharry and Carol Fitzpatrick, which contains extra chapters on tackling common childhood problems.
In running subsequent courses, additional parent books can be purchased at cost price by trained facilitators. Trained facilitators are also licensed to copy additional worksheets and handouts from parent books as needed.
Parent Plus also provide onsite training in organisations and communities both in Ireland and internationally. This is a cost effective way of training your team and also partnering with other agencies to deliver evidence-based programmes in your area.
If you would like to avail of onsite training within the convenience of your organisation, contact us to discuss training packages, by emailing
become a solution focused facilitator and make this difference.