Parenting When Separated
“High conflict during separation or divorce can cause lasting damage to children. With the right tools, you can help parents, to co-parent in a conflict- free responsive way to ensure their children cope and thrive through this challenging family transition.”
Through solution focused training in the evidence-based Parents Plus ‘Parenting When Separated Programme’, you will learn how to equip parents, who are or have experienced separation or divorce, to co parent successfully, listen to and focus on the needs of their children.
Drawing on parents strengths, you will also learn how to support parents to help their children cope and thrive, as well as cope well themselves.
In particular you will learn how to support parents to
- Solve co-parenting problems in a positive way which focuses on the needs of their children
- Help their children cope, both emotionally and practically
- Enhance communication with their children and with their children’s other parent
- Maintain the quality of their parenting
- Minimise the stresses and changes in their children’ s life, post separation
- Cope with the emotional impact of separation and learn stress management techniques
- Deal with the challenges of lone parenting or being a ‘live away’ parent
Quote Box from professional
Really positive – I was very unsure about going to the Parents Plus group, I thought people were going to criticise me, but the course gave me the tools I needed in a friendly way…I just need to remember to press the pause button!
At the end of the 2 day training, you will have gained the skills and learning essential to achieving best outcomes for the families that you work with.
At Parents Plus, we understand the needs of professionals working with parents and children in a variety of educational, clinical and community settings, and so our expert led training will give you the knowledge and skills to focus on parental strengths, parent led solutions and positive partnerships.
The power of our evidence based model really is in guiding you to become effective facilitators who are equipped to facilitate parents to move forward beyond problems and deal positively with behavioural, emotional or educational issues.
Your two day training will focus on
- Developing an in-depth understanding of the Parenting When Separated Programme
- Learning how to deliver the programme to groups and individual families
- Opportunities to observe and practice the skills necessary to become an effective solution focused facilitator
- Building on parents already present strengths to become the basis for ongoing change
- Strengthening family, school and community partnerships
Whether you work in an educational, community or clinical setting, by day two, you will be confident in your ability to facilitate the solution focused Parenting When Separated Programme with parents.
Our evidence-based, Parenting When Separated programme is an effective tool for ALL professionals and managers who want to improve outcomes for primary school children. If you want to gain knowledge, in practical, evidence based, yet effective strategies to empower parents to change the future path for their children, then this training is for you.
A wide variety of education, mental health and community professionals already use this solution focused programme successfully, with impressive outcomes in a variety or Primary Care, School, Health, Disability and Mental Health settings
- Attendance at the Parents Plus Trainings is compulsory for facilitators prior to delivering the programmes.
- Prior to accreditation, Parents Plus groups are to be co-facilitated, i.e, at least two trained Parents Plus facilitators need to deliver the groups.
- Prior to booking a training please read the full Parents Plus Licensing Guidelines.
In a large study of primary care, mental health and community settings families who completed the Parenting when Separated programme reported
- Reduction in interparental conflict
- Decreases in child behaviour problems
- Decrease in parental adjustment problems
- Increase in parental satisfaction
- Increases in goal attainment for parents and children
You can learn more about the success of Parents Plus programmes in school, community, disability and mental health settings here
At Parents Plus our mission is to empower professionals, services and communities to positively change the futures of children and families with our evidence based programmes. Evidence shows that the best outcomes for families are achieved when managers and professionals are supported pre and post-training to deliver their first groups or individual sessions to families.
As a result, Parents Plus provides a comprehensive package of pre and post-training supports to professionals and managers who want to ensure a sustainable and effective delivery of the programmes within their agency.
- Implementation support to get groups off the ground, including planning workshops and coaching for managers
- Individual and Group Supervision Sessions with an experienced Parents Plus Trainer*
- Advanced training workshops on specific topics
- Extra resources to facilitate delivery, e.g. parent fliers, posters, certs, practice articles, parenting articles, extra handouts
- Support to promote and market your Parents Plus courses
- Advice and guidance on evaluating and monitoring outcomes in your agency so you ensure your groups are effective
You can access two individual supervision sessions completely free of charge in the first year post training.
Sponsorship for further supervision is available on application.
Full details of our comprehensive package of pre and post training supports are available here
Completing the two day Parenting When Separated Programme training will license you to co-deliver the programme under supervision in both group and one to one sessions with parents . See full licensing guidelines
For facilitators who want to take their practice to a higher level, Parents Plus also have an established accreditation process which supports facilitators to refine their facilitations skills and professional practice and reach a high standard of delivery. Representing a major CPD achievement, gaining accreditation allows professionals to deliver the programmes independently in a private capacity and to work towards becoming a Parents Plus Supervisor. See information on Accreditation here
The Parents Plus Parenting When Separated Programme Training includes a comprehensive range of materials to ensure effective delivery of your groups.
- A comprehensive Facilitator’s Manual with a full guide and detailed session plans for the six week course.
- Two Parent Books that contains handouts, worksheets and exercises for each parent completing the course.
- An accompanying book, ‘Parenting when Separated’, which includes support reading for the course, as well as a Q&A section that addresses common challenges for parents.
In running subsequent courses, additional parent booklets can be purchased at cost price by trained facilitators. Trained facilitators are also licensed to copy additional worksheets and handouts from parent books as needed.
If you and your team would like to avail of group training within the convenience of your own organisation, contact us to discuss options for onsite hosting of training by emailing
become a solution focused facilitator and make this difference.