Early Years Programme
“The first 5 years of a child’s life are the most important. You can equip families to shape this critical stage of development to create the best future outcomes”
Through training in the evidence-based Parents Plus Early Years Programme, you will learn how to equip parents to effectively deal with behavioural and emotional problems as well as to support their children’s learning, language and social development,.
During our solution-focused training you will also learn how to help parents build positive family relationships and ensure the best outcomes for their children.
In particular you will learn how to support parents to:
- Manage behaviour and emotional problems
- Build their children’s language and development
- Help their children to concentrate and learn
- Increase their children’s self esteem
- Manage tantrums and misbehaviour
- Establish positive daily routines
- Reduce their own stress as parents
The Early Years Programme is suitable for parents of children aged 1 to 6 years within the normal rage of development, as well as children with additional needs, such as ADHD, and developmental delays and disabilities.
Kathleen O’Hara – Early Intervention
We see the evidence. The Parent Plus Early Years Programme has proven to be very successful for the parents we work with and is now a valuable and regular part of our multi-disciplinary team work.
At the end of the 3-day training, you will have gained the skills and learning essential to achieving best outcomes for the families that you work with.
At Parents Plus, we understand the needs of professionals working with parents and children in a variety of educational, clinical and community settings, and so our expert led training will give you the knowledge and skills to focus on parental strengths, parent led solutions and positive partnerships.
The power of our evidence based model really is in guiding you to become effective facilitators who are equipped to empower parents to move forward beyond problems and deal positively with behavioural, emotional and educational issues
Your 3-day training will focus on
- Developing an in-depth understanding of the Early Years Programme
- Learning how to deliver the programme to groups and individual families
- Opportunities to observe and practice the skills necessary to become an effective solution focused facilitator
- Building on parents already present strengths to become the basis for ongoing change
- Strengthening family, school and community partnerships
Whether you work in an educational, community or clinical setting, by day three, you will be confident in your ability to facilitate the solution focused Early Years Programme with parents.
Our evidence-based, Early Years programme is an effective tool for ALL professionals and managers who want to improve outcomes for young children aged 1 – 6 years. If you want to gain knowledge, in practical, evidence-based, yet effective strategies, to empower parents to change the future path for their children, then this training is for you.
A wide variety of education, mental health and community professionals already use this solution focused programme successfully, with impressive outcomes in a variety or Primary Care, School, Health, Disability and Mental Health settings
- Attendance at the Parents Plus Trainings is compulsory for facilitators prior to delivering the programmes.
- Prior to accreditation, Parents Plus groups are to be co-facilitated. Therefore, at least two facilitators need to be trained before groups can be delivered in an agency.
- Prior to booking a training please read the full Parents Plus Licensing Guidelines.
Studies in early years services, schools, mental health and disability settings have shown that families who complete the Early Years programme report
You can learn more about the success of Parents Plus programmes in school, community, disability and mental health settings here
At Parents Plus our mission is to empower professionals, services and communities to positively change the futures of children and families with our evidence based programmes.
Evidence shows that the best outcomes for families are achieved when managers and professionals are supported pre and post-training to deliver their first groups or individual sessions to families. As a result, Parents Plus provides a comprehensive package of pre and post-training supports to professionals and managers who want to ensure a sustainable and effective delivery of the programmes within their agency.
- Implementation support to get groups off the ground, including planning workshops and coaching for managers
- Individual and Group Supervision Sessions with an experienced Parents Plus Trainer*
- Advanced training workshops on specific topics
- Extra resources to facilitate delivery, e.g. parent fliers, posters, certs, practice articles, parenting articles, extra handouts
- Support to promote and market your Parents Plus courses
- Advice and guidance on evaluating and monitoring outcomes in your agency so you ensure your groups are effective
You can access two individual supervision sessions completely free of charge in the first year post training.
Full details of our comprehensive package of pre and post training supports are available here
Completing the 3-day Early Years Programme training will license you to co-deliver the programme under supervision in both group and one to one sessions with parents. See full licensing guidelines
For facilitators who want to take their practice to a higher level, Parents Plus also have an established accreditation process which supports facilitators to refine their facilitation skills and professional practice and reach a high standard of delivery. Representing a major CPD achievement, gaining accreditation allows professionals to deliver the programmes independently in a private capacity and to work towards becoming a Parents Plus Supervisor. See information on Accreditation here
The Parents Plus Early Years Programme Training includes a comprehensive range of materials to ensure effective delivery of your groups.
- Two DVDs which contain 2.5 hours of footage containing over 80 real and role-played scenes of family interactions, which are backed up by comments from professionals, parents and children.
- A comprehensive Facilitator’s Manual that contains the full text of the DVDs, extensive background information, a full guide on how to prepare and run each session of the course, including suggestions on how to structure group discussion and use role-play.
- Two parents books that contain all the handouts and worksheets for participants.
- The package also comes with an accompanying parents book, ‘Positive Parenting‘, by John Sharry and Carol Fitzpatrick, which contains extra chapters on tackling common childhood problems.
In running subsequent courses, additional parent books can be purchased at cost price by trained facilitators. Trained facilitators are also licensed to copy additional worksheets and handouts from parent booklets as needed.
Parents Plus also provide onsite training to organisations and communities in Ireland and internationally. This is a cost effective way of training your team and also partnering with other agencies to deliver evidence-based programmes in your area.
If you would like to avail of onsite training within the convenience of your own organisation, contact us to discuss training packages by emailing
We see the evidence. The Early Years Programme has proven to be very successful for the parents we work with and has become a valuable part of our multi-disciplinary team work.
Kathleen O’Hara, H.S.E. Early intervention Team, Mayo
become a solution focused facilitator and make this difference.