“The teenage years can be a challenging time for families. Helping parents to understand adolescent development and the importance of a nurturing environment are crucial at this stage. You can empower parents to get it right and ensure their teenagers grow up as well-adjusted and happy adults.”
Through solution focused training in the evidence-based Parents Plus Adolescents Programme, you will learn how to equip parents to build positive relationships with their adolescents, support their emotional well-being, and bring them up to be confident, well-adjusted adults.
Drawing on parents strengths, you will also learn how to support parents to communicate effectively with their adolescents and resolve conflict the solution focused way.
In particular you will learn how to support parents to
- Manage and resolve conflict
- Positively discipline their adolescent
- Negotiate rules and boundaries
- Solve problems together
- Empower their adolescent to grow into a responsible and confident young person
- Communicate positively and effectively
- Reduce their own stress as parents
The Adolescents Programme is suitable for parents of adolescents within the normal rage of development, as well as adolescents with some additional needs, such as ADHD. We also have the Parents Plus Special Needs programme for young people with an intellectual disability.
At the end of the 3-day training, you will have gained the skills and learning essential to achieving best outcomes for the families that you work with.
At Parents Plus, we understand the needs of professionals working with parents and adolescents in a variety of educational, clinical and community settings, and so our expert led training will give you the knowledge and skills to focus on parental strengths, parent led solutions and positive partnerships.
The power of our evidence based model really is in guiding you to become effective facilitators who are equipped to facilitate parents to move forward beyond problems and deal positively with behavioural, emotional or educational issues.
Your 3-day training will focus on
- Developing an in-depth understanding of the Adolescent Programme
- Learning how to deliver the programme to groups and individual families
- Opportunities to observe and practice the skills necessary to become an effective solution focused facilitator
- Building on parents already present strengths to become the basis for ongoing change
- Strengthening family, school and community partnerships
Whether you work in an educational, community or clinical setting, by day three, you will be confident in your ability to facilitate the solution focused Adolescent Programme with parents.
Our evidence-based, Adolescents programme is an effective tool for ALL professionals and managers who want to improve outcomes for young people aged 11 – 16 years old. If you want to gain knowledge, in practical, evidence based, yet effective strategies to empower parents to change the future path for their adolescent, then this training is for you.
A wide variety of education, mental health and community professionals already use this solution focused programme successfully, with impressive outcomes in a variety or Primary Care, School, Health, Disability and Mental Health settings
- Attendance at the Parents Plus Trainings is compulsory for facilitators prior to delivering the programmes.
- Prior to accreditation, Parents Plus groups are to be co-facilitated. Therefore, at least two facilitators need to be trained before groups can be delivered in an agency.
- Prior to booking a training please read the full Parents Plus Licensing Guidelines.
Studies in secondary schools and mental health settings have shown that families who complete the Adolescents programme report
- Increased teen positive social behaviour
- Reduced behaviour and emotional problems
- Decreased parental stress
- Improved family communication
- Increased parental confidence
You can learn more about the success of Parents Plus programmes in school, community, disability and mental health settings here
At Parents Plus our mission is to empower professionals, services and communities to positively change the futures of children, young people and families with our evidence based programmes.
Evidence shows that the best outcomes for families are achieved when managers and professionals are supported pre and post-training to deliver their first groups or individual sessions to families.
As a result, Parents Plus provides a comprehensive package of pre and post-training supports to professionals and managers who want to ensure a sustainable and effective delivery of the programmes within their agency.
- Implementation support to get groups off the ground, including planning workshops and coaching for managers
- Individual and Group Supervision Sessions with an experienced Parents Plus Trainer*
- Advanced training workshops on specific topics
- Extra resources to facilitate delivery, e.g. parent fliers, posters, certs, practice articles, parenting articles, extra handouts
- Support to promote and market your Parents Plus courses
- Advice and guidance on evaluating and monitoring outcomes in your agency so you ensure your groups are effective
You can access two individual supervision sessions completely free of charge in the first year post training.
Sponsorship for further supervision is available on application.
Full details of our comprehensive package of pre and post training supports are available here
Completing the three day Children’s Programme training will license you to co-deliver the programme under supervision in both group and one to one sessions with parents. See full licensing guidelines
For facilitators who want to take their practice to a higher level, Parents Plus also have an established accreditation process which supports facilitators to refine their facilitations skills and professional practice and reach a high standard of delivery. Representing a major CPD achievement, gaining accreditation allows professionals to deliver the programmes independently in a private capacity and to work towards becoming a Parents Plus Supervisor. See information on Accreditation here
The Parents Plus Adolescents Programme Training includes a comprehensive range of materials to ensure effective delivery of your groups.
- Two hours of DVD footage containing over 60 real and role-played scenes of family interactions, which are backed up by comments from professionals, parents and teenagers.
- A comprehensive Facilitator’s Manual that contains the full text of the DVDs, extensive background information, a full guide on how to prepare and run each session of the course, as well as specific information on tackling the most common teenager problems and issues.
- Two Parents Books that contain all the handouts and worksheets for participants.
- The package also comes with an accompanying parents’ book, Parenting Teenagers, by John Sharry and Carol Fitzpatrick, which contains extra chapters on tackling modern teenage problems
In running subsequent courses, additional parent books can be purchased at cost price by trained facilitators. Trained facilitators are also licensed to copy additional worksheets and handouts from parent booklets as needed.
Does your organisation want to host the Children’s Programme Training onsite? (Also include this at top of booking page)
Parent Plus also provide onsite training in local organisations and communities. This is a cost effective way of training your team and also partnering with other agencies to deliver evidence-based programmes in your area.
If you would like to avail of onsite training within the convenience of your own organisation, contact us to discuss training packages by emailing
become a solution focused facilitator and make this difference.