The Parents Plus Special Needs Programme is an evidence-based therapeutic and supportive programme delivered over 6 to 12 weeks to small groups of parents raising an adolescent with an intellectual disability who may also have an additional diagnosis, such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
The programme covers a variety of challenges that parents of adolescents with intellectual disabilities might face such as:
- Managing behaviour and emotional problems
- Dealing with puberty, sexuality and relationships
- Support all relationships in the family
- Build self-esteem and confidence
- Advocate for their child or adolescent
- Support education and development
- Prepare their child for adulthood and future transitions
This programme is also open to professionals who provide support to parents who have adolescents with disabilities. The webinar will also focus on how this programme was created in collaboration with parents, along with giving insights on the proven benefits of doing this programme.
|14h00 – 14h10||Introduction from EASPD|
|14h10 – 15h10||Presentation of the Parents Plus ProgrammeCiara Ni Raghallaigh, Parents Plus|
|15h10 – 15h30||Q and A Session|