An evidence-based CBT programme for adolescents (aged 11 to 16) promoting positive mental health and teaching coping skills to overcome specific problems.
Eileen Brosnan, John Sharry, Diane Beattie, Carol Fitzpatrick
WTO aims to help young people build communication and conflict resolution skills in to order to help them improve their relationships within their families, in school and in the community. The programme sessions are designed around a DVD containing personal stories of adolescents who have coped with issues such as Bullying, School Pressures, Conflict with Parents, as well as more specific mental health issues, such as Anxiety, Depression ADHD, OCD, Self-harm and Suicide. Each of the stories are four/five minutes long and are presented as mini-movies with animation, voiceover and a soundtrack. The stories offer advice on how to cope and give ideas on how to improve relationships, things young people can do to help themselves and getting help and support.
- Getting Along with Parents / Carers – Listening, talking and resolving conflicts.
- Stop and Think – The key to solving problems.
- Keeping Your Cool – Dealing with anger and conflict.
- Taking Charge – Developing helpful thinking strategies.
- What’s Up? – Managing feeling down.
- The Working Things Out DVD containing 14 stories of real young people’s experiences of dealing with mental health difficulties.
- A comprehensive facilitator’s manual that contains the full text of the DVD stories, background information on the programme, a detailed guide on delivering each group session of the 8 week programme, session handouts and specific information on facilitation of adolescent groups.
- Parenting Teenagers book (Authors: Eileen Brosnan, John Sharry, Diane Beattie and Carol Fitzpatrick). This book describes a balanced approach to parenting, setting out a step-by-step guide that shows how you can stay supportively involved in your teenager’s life while also being firm.
Training materials are available at the discounted price of €300 per pack if purchased with training. The standard price is €500 per pack if purchased after training.
Book Training and Materials
€ 350.00per person
€ 350.00per person
Programme materials can be purchased together with training at a special discounted price of € 300.
Order Parent Booklets
Please note that you may only order parent booklets and other programme materials if you are a facilitator who already has been trained or belong to an agency with staff already trained.
In January 2017, the Working Things Programme (WTO) was updated and a fourth edition of the Facilitator Manual was published. You will find some guidelines here on how the manual has been updated.
The Parents Plus Working Things Out Programme is evidence based and several studies attest to its effectiveness in clinical, preventative and community settings PPWTO research link.