An evidence-based parenting course promoting confidence, learning and positive behaviour in young children aged 1 to 6 years.
John Sharry, Grainne Hampson, Mary Fanning
Drawing on well-researched ideas about child development, and parent-child communication, the Parents Plus Early Years Programme is ideal for parents who want to maximise their children’s learning, language and social development, as well as reduce behaviour problems, while ensuring their children grow up happy and emotionally secure. The programme is suitable both for children within the normal range of development as well as children with special needs, such as ADHD, speech and language and other development difficulties.
- Being a responsive parent
- Child-centred play and communication
- Supporting children’s self-esteem and confidence
- Promoting children’s language and development
- Helping children concentrate and learn
- Building cooperation in young children
- Establishing daily routines
- Managing tantrums, misbehaviour and problems
- Two DVDs which contain three hours of footage containing over 80 real scenes of parenting situations, which are backed up by comments from professionals, parents and children.
- A comprehensive Facilitator’s Manual which contains the full text of the DVDs, extensive background information, a full guide on how to prepare and run each session of the course, detailed group exercises, handouts and home work assignments.
- Two parent booklets which contain all the handouts and worksheets for participants.
- The package also comes with an accompanying parents’ book ‘Parenting Preschoolers and Young Children’ (Authors: John Sharry, Grainne Hampson, and Mary Fanning).
In running subsequent courses, additional parent booklets can be purchased at cost price by trained facilitators. Trained facilitators are also licensed to copy additional worksheets and handouts from parent booklets as needed.
Upcoming Facilitator Training
To run the Parents Plus Early Years Programme you need to attend the three day facilitator training. The three days will take you step-by-step through the ideas and principles of the programme and you will be shown how to deliver it in clinical and community settings. Participants will be shown how to use strengths-based video feedback within individual parent-child sessions as well as how to facilitate solution-focused parent groups. Parents Plus also provides post-training supervision as part of an established Accreditation Process.
Book Training and Materials
€ 430per person
€ 430.00per person
Programme materials can be purchased together with training at a special discounted price of € 300.
Order Parent Booklets
Please note that you may only order parent booklets and other programme materials if you are a facilitator who already has been trained or belong to an agency with staff already trained.
Manual Upgrade Guide
In November 2016, the Parents Plus Early Years Programme (PPEY) was updated and fourth editions of the Facilitator Manual and Parent Booklet were published. In addition, the original community six-week version of the PPEY will no longer be published separately.
- If you are using an older edition of the full PPEY Facilitator Manual with the fourth edition of the Parent Booklet, please note the changes outlined in the document here.
- If you are using the original community six-week version of the PPEY Facilitators Manual/booklet with the fourth edition of the Parent Booklet, please note the changes outlined in the document here.
The Parents Plus Early Years Programme is evidence-based and several studies attest to its effectiveness in clinical, preventative and community settings.