An evidence-based parenting course promoting effective communication and positive relationships in families with adolescents aged 11 to 16 years.
John Sharry, Carol Fitzpatrick
The Adolescents Programme considers how parents can connect with and build good relationships with their teenage children, while also being firm and influential in their lives. The DVD for this programme illustrates well-researched principles of effective communication and conflict resolution which parents can use with their teenagers, with the aim of helping them grow into responsible young adults. As well as role-play scenes and interviews with parents, the DVDs include interviews with young people about what it is like to be a teenager and their views about what makes families run smoothly.
- Getting to know and connecting with your teenager
- Communicating positively and effectively
- Building your teenager’s self-esteem and confidence
- Negotiating rules and boundaries
- Teaching teenagers responsibility
- Positive discipline for teenagers
- Managing conflict
- Solving problems together
Programme Materials Include
- Two hours of DVD footage containing over 60 real and role-played scenes of family interactions, which are backed up by comments from professionals, parents and teenagers.
- A comprehensive Facilitator’s Manual that contains the full text of the DVDs, extensive background information, a full guide on how to prepare and run each session of the course, as well as specific information on tackling the most common teenager problems and issues.
- Two Parents Booklets that contain all the handouts and worksheets for participants.
- The package also comes with an accompanying parents’ book, Parenting Teenagers, which contains several extra chapters on tackling modern teenage problems (Authors: John Sharry and Carol Fitzpatrick).
In running subsequent courses, additional parent booklets can be purchased at cost price by trained facilitators. Trained facilitators are also licensed to copy additional worksheets and handouts from parent booklets as needed.
Upcoming Training Programmes
Book Training and Materials
€ 405.00per person
€ 430.00per person
Programme materials can be purchased together with training at a special discounted price of € 300.
Order Parent Booklets
Please note that you may only order parent booklets and other programme materials if you are a facilitator who already has been trained or belong to an agency with staff already trained.
Manual Upgrade Guide
In November 2016, the Parents Plus Adolescents Programme (PPAP) was updated and fourth editions of the Facilitator Manual and Parent Booklet were published. If you are using an older edition of the PPAP Facilitator Manual with the fourth edition of the Parent Booklet, please note the changes outlined in the document here.
The Parents Plus Adolescents Programme is evidence based and several studies attest to its effectiveness in clinical, preventative and community settings PPA research link.