For Booking FAQs, please click here.
Parents Plus have developed five flagship programmes in partnership with parents and children living in Ireland and includes their specific experiences. The programmes combine a social learning model with a solution-focused preventative framework that encourages and empowers parents and children to ‘take charge’ and make positive changes in their lives.
Our programmes comprise of:
Programme Structure: All Parents Plus programmes are delivered as structured courses with small groups of parents, children and adolescents using DVD input, handouts, group exercises and homework.
Programme target: Programmes can be delivered as
1) Universal programmes targeted at families within the community who are dealing with the normal ups and downs of bringing up children.
2) Preventative programmes targeted at vulnerable families at risk of behavioural and emotional problems.
3) Specific interventions targeted at families with specific needs and whose children are exhibiting behavioural, emotional and developmental problems.
Programme Facilitators: The programmes are ideal for use by professionals who are looking for collaborative and cost-effective ways of working with parents and young people either on a one to one basis or within small groups. Many different professionals have successfully delivered the programmes including teachers, public health nurses, social workers, speech and language therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, or any other professional working in child care, mental health, family support or community settings. They can be co-facilitated by parents who have completed a previous parenting course or who have special training.
Programme Settings: The Parents Plus Programmes have been used successfully both as intervention programmes in specialist settings and as preventative programmes in community settings as well as within professional training for mental health/ education professionals. These include:
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health Clinics
- Pre-schools/ Child care centres
- Primary and Secondary Schools
- Primary Care Settings
- Services for Children with Special Needs
- Early Intervention Teams
- Child Protection Agencies
- Family Resource Centres/ Community Settings
- Colleges/ Training centres for Professionals
Programme Evidence Base: The Parents Plus Programmes are evidence-based approaches and currently fourteen studies attest to their effectiveness in community/ specialist settings. The programmes follow international best-practice guidelines as described by the National Institute for Clinical Excellence in the UK and are specifically listed as evidence-based programmes by the Dept of Education in the United Kingdom and recommended by the Welsh Government (Welsh Government, 2014). In addition, the Parents Plus Programmes have been independently evaluated by National Parenting Academy in the UK and have been awarded top ratings. For more information on research see www.parentsplus.ie/research.
For further information, please download our brochure.